Once I finished My first Albion coat for Mr. Mammoth, he pointed out that there was plenty of time left before the deadline, and didn't I want to make one for myself? I did, and there was already a fabric that I had in mind, so I went ahead and got to work starting over.
I used a printed cotton canvas in a cool minty green color with a cammo style pattern in charcoal grey. (If you look closely you can see that there are tiny skulls and crossbones hidden in the print!) I kept the western style design details that I loved from the first coat, and did them in a dark denim fabric rather than the leather I used on the first one. I hand-made my toggles again, and used some miniature glasses frames from the jewelry section at hobby lobby. The zipper on my coat is a swanky rhinestone zipper that I had purchased months ago on impulse, and although it's not super visible in the photos, the coat is lined with a silvery coated black cotton linen blend. I did some contrast stitching on the denim, kept the modified in seam pockets I used on coat number one, and brought the front of the hood further forward. (I like a roomy hood and I still wanted to avoid using the tab at the front of the neck).
I tweaked the pattern a tiny bit for fit reasons, but left my over all fit much roomier on my own coat. I have upper neck and spine problems that become aggravated by wearing too tight of a coat whole trying to drive or move my arms, so I wanted to make sure I could move comfortably. I also tend to wear REALLY heavy woolly sweaters in the winter, so I wanted to allow space inside the coat.
The second coat came together much easier since I had already figured everything out on coat one, and I am totally happy with the end result. I've already been wearing it every day for several days!
|The finished coat.|
|Rhinestone zipper detail.|
|Custom toggles with nerdy glasses!|
|Denim sleeve detail.|
|Shoulder detail with contrast stitching.|